Get a FREE Issue of Earth Island Journal
Sign up for our no-risk offer today.

Go Back: Home

Debunking Straw Man Definitions of Wilderness

Keeping the Wild: Against the Domestication of Earth
Edited by George Wuerthner, Eileen Crist, and Tom Butler
Island Press, 2014, 248 pages

As the Wilderness Act turns 50, there are people who are ready to turn their backs on the concept of wilderness itself. That’s unfortunate, seeing as there’s less and less wilderness at hand. We’ve altered as much as 80 percent of Earth’s land surface for our own use and the remaining 20 percent is increasingly in tatters. Yet, despite the growing rarity of wild landscapes, there are those who would devalue them…
» Read more

(0) Comments

by: Chris Clarke – Autumn 2014

Large Scale Solar Energy Generation May Be Over As Soon As It Has Begun

Ivanpah installation a zone of death for tortoises, raptors

The world’s largest solar thermal power plant officially went online one week ago today, on February 13. At a ceremony in the Mojave Desert south of Las Vegas, with US Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz presiding, the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System formally…
» Read more

(0) Comments

by: Chris Clarke – February 20, 2014

In Review…

9-11 Noam Chomsky Seven Stories Press, 2001 $8.95 ($13.50 Canadian) Few commenters on American political life are more astute than Noam Chomsky, famously referred to by the New York Times as “arguably the greatest living American intellectual.” Since the attack on the WTC, he’s also become (arguably) the most reviled American intellectual. Chomsky-bashers would do well to read this instant book, rushed into print in the wake of the attacks in September…
» Read more

by: Chris Clarke – Winter 2003

Take the ecoterror litmus test

When I heard that Colorado Representative Scott McInnis, who heads the House Subcommittee on Forests and Forest Health, was turning his attention to "ecoterrorists" in the wake of 9/11, I breathed a sigh of relief. It was about time, I thought. Terrorists have been targeting environmentalists for years, and the Feds have largely turned a blind eye. Finally, I thought, after the tragic loss of life at the World Trade Center, the…
» Read more

by: Chris Clarke – Fall 2002

Bush bashes climate report

A report on climate change was released by the US Environmental Protection Agency in early June, prompting criticism from the US energy industry and a hasty disavowal of the document by George W. Bush. The US Climate Action Report - produced by the EPA as a "national communication" under the UN Framework - states that climate change is occurring, that part of that change is caused by human activity, and that carbon…
» Read more

by: Chris Clarke – Fall 2002

Earth Summit falls flat

NGOs shut, out, Colin Powell is booed offstage, and a mediocre time is had by all

A telling thing happened to delegates from non-governmental organizations (NGOs) as they attempted to enter the World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD), in Johannesburg from August 26 to September 4: most of them weren’t allowed in. WSSD organizers had issued 25,000 passes to the summit, held in the Sandton Convention Centre; the Centre’s capacity was 6000. Few attributed the four-fold overbooking at Sandton to anything more than incompetence on the part of…
» Read more

by: Chris Clarke – Winter 2003

Big Changes at Earth Island Journal

Dear Readers, There are exciting new developments afoot at Earth Island Journal. First, after more than 15 years at the helm of the Journal, Gar Smith has assumed new duties as Earth Island Institute's Roving Editor. Gar is working full time for Earth Island writing, researching, and compiling material for our new Web publication, "The Edge: Eco-Journalism from the Brink." The site includes a combination of short items, features, and special investigative…
» Read more

by: Chris Clarke – Fall 2002

Older →


Four issues for just
$10 a year.

cover thumbnail EIJ

Join Now!

Go Solar with Earth Island Institute!