volume 26 no 4
When it comes to gizmos, I’m what you’d call a late adopter. I didn’t buy a cell phone until 2004. I just got a smart phone this year, when my old flip phone finally crapped out and the progressive phone company CREDO Mobile gave me an Android for free. Even though I’m something of a tech curmudgeon, I’ll admit that I love it. I love being able to check my email whenever. I love being able to follow Twitter from just about anywhere. I love the universal access to the worlds of information …more
- What Killed Dunkard Creek?
- Residents in Pennsylvania and West Virginia say fracking is to blame.
- Warning: High Frequency
- We are now exposed to electromagnetic radio frequencies 24 hours a day. Welcome to the largest human experiment ever.
- Can Danilo Atilano Feed the World?
- Industrial Agriculture Advocates Say Organic Farming Cannot Produce Enough Food for 7 Billion People. A Group of Rice Farmers in the Philippines is Proving Them Wrong.
- Feedback: Letters & E-mails
- Around the World: Local News from All Over
- Temperature Gauge: Notes from a Warming World
- Spyhopping: Occupy the Constitution
- Earth Island Reports: International Marine Mammal Project
- Earth Island Reports: Our Family Keeps Growing
- Three new projects…
- Earth Island Reports: Fired Up Media
- Three Issues to Watch During the Durban Climate Summit
- Earth Island Reports: Women’s Earth Alliance
- Training Women in Water and Sanitation
- Earth Island Reports: Bay Localize
- A Resilient Future for the 99%
- Dispatches: Material World
- How Peak Oil Pricked the Housing Bubble
- 1,000 Words: All That Is Solid Melts Into Air
- Sun Ji
- Dispatches: The Last Song of Mario Guifarro
- Killed in the Line of Duty
- Dispatches: It’s Wrong to Wreck the World
- A Moral Call to Protect the Environment
- + / -: Friend or Foe?
- Invasive species
- +/-: Harm Is in the Eye of the Beholder
- +/-: An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth a Pound of Cure
- Conversation: Wayne Pacelle
- In Review: The New, New McCarthyism
- Green Is the New Red: An Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege
By Will Potter
City Lights, 2011, 256 Pages
- In Review: Agent Orange Blues
- Scorched Earth: Legacies of the Chemical Warfare in Vietnam
By Fred A. Wilcox
Seven Stories Press, 2011, 240 pages
- In Review: Sizing Up the Planet
- Measure of the Earth: The Enlightenment Expedition That Reshaped Our World
By Larrie D. Ferreiro
Basic Book, 2011, 353 pages
- Voices: Coal Blasts Communities Apart