volume 28 no 2
Paranoia will destroy ya.
I’ll admit that I want to roll my eyes when I hear about the security precautions some environmentalists take in the course of planning a protest. Removing batteries from cellphones to prevent being tracked, using email encryption, or creating codenames for demonstrations strikes me as self-flattery. I mean, greens can’t get a watered down climate bill through the US Senate; it’s not like we pose a threat to the status quo that deserves being spied on. And – more to the point – we’re not doing anything wrong. Environmental activism …more
- The Dying Glaciers of California
- The Snowcap Is Melting, Threatening the Alpine Ecology and the State’s Water Supply
- We’re Being Watched
- How Corporations and Law Enforcement Are Spying on Environmentalists
- Whale Riders
- A small group of volunteers has committed itself to untangling whales that get caught in fishing nets. The work is difficult, dangerous – and doesn’t always go according to plan.
- Spyhopping: Still Worrying about the Bomb
- Earth Island Reports: International Marine Mammal Project
- Earth Island Reports: Raptors Are The Solution
- Rat Poison Could Cause a Silent Spring for Raptors
- Open for Business?
- As Myanmar transitions to democracy after decades of military rule, its increasingly vocal civil society is scrambling to protect forests and farmland from rapacious development.
- Battle in the Clouds
- In the Colombian Andes, ecosystems are disappearing faster than scientists can study them.
- 1,000 Words: Still Life with Life
- Isabella Kirkland
- +/-: What’s a Tree Worth?
- +/-: Money Talks – So Let’s Give Nature a Voice
- +/-: “Natural Capital” is a Bankrupt Metaphor
- Conversation: Van Jones
- In Review: Risky Business
- Nuclear Roulette: The Truth about the Most Dangerous Energy Source on Earth
By Gar Smith,
Chelsea Green, 2012, 320 pages
- In Review: System Failure
- The Capitalism Papers: Fatal Flaws of an Obsolete System
By Jerry Mander
Counterpoint, 2012, 250 pages
- Voices: Living the Green Life – Behind Bars