The Transportation Issue
volume 23 no. 2
America, as even President Bush acknowledges, is addicted to oil. If so, then biofuels are little better than methadone.
Our addiction is dangerous. It is one of the primary sources of the unchecked carbon emissions that are altering the Earth’s atmosphere. It contributes to the pollution of our air and water. It has badly skewed US foreign policy and helps explain why more than 150,000 soldiers are fighting in Iraq. Like junkies, we are oblivious to the damage we inflict on ourselves.
In an attempt to deal with the consequences of our oil addiction, …more
- Letters to the Editor: Letters
- Around the World: Local News from All Over
- Temperature Gauge: Notes from a warming world
- Spyhopping: Globalization’s Carbon Bootprint
- Earth Island News: Earth Island Project Reports
- Earth Island News: Restoration Inititatives
- Restoring Imaginations to Reclaim Land
- Earth Island News: Ethical Traveler
- Where is Tourism Headed?
- Earth Island News: BAWT
- Carpooling to the Country
- 1,000 Words: We Are Traffic
- The Spirit of Critical Mass
- Reports: The Big Melt
- Notes from the Front Lines of Climate Change
- Reports: Flying Into Trouble
- Where Are Carbon Offsets Taking Us?
- Conversation: Katie Alvord
- Reports: The Call of the Kiwi
- New Zealanders Are Working to Save Their National Symbol
- Reports: Fueling the Future?
- The Hunt for a Sustainable Biofuel