Earth Island Institute and our projects thrive thanks to the volunteer energy of committed individuals.
Development Director, California Student Sustainability Coalition
The California Student Sustainability Coalition is hiring a Development Director to design, manage, and coordinate the organization’s development and fundraising operations. Read more about the positon here.
Internships with All One Ocean
All One Ocean’s mission is to educate people about the destructive impacts of our trash by providing a simple way for beachgoers, any time they visit the beach, to help clean up our Ocean, beautify beaches and prevent needless death and suffering to marine life. For information about the internships, follow this link.
- Outreach & Communications
- Application Recruitment & Processing
- Event Planning - Media Outreach and Promotion
- Event Planning - Soliciting for In-Kind Donations and Program Partners
- Recruitment: Assist our team in reaching out to a wide spectrum of schools, organizations and youth activists encouraging them to apply for our programs.
- Event Planning: Assist in creating dynamic events throughout the year as well create a high-energy week of activities for Brower Youth Award recipients in October.
- Research & Archive: Aggregate information about potential partners, collaborators and archive organizations and individuals the program has been involved with in the past.
- Local Outreach: Telephone and e-mail outreach to grassroots groups, tabling at local events, short speaking engagements with campus and community groups.
- Fundraising: Research and contact potential foundations, corporations and in-kind sponsors.
- You may also be asked to support other areas of the organization if help is needed.
New Leaders Initiative is seeking interns! As an intern with New Leaders Initiative, you'll be involved in the exciting process of elevating bold, emerging, young leaders in the environmental movement through the Brower Youth Award as well as our various year-round programs. You will be exposed to some of the leading grassroots and national youth-led efforts and have the opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of working in an environmental non-profit. A typical day could consist of working in our office, conducting outreach on the phone and email, performing various research tasks, helping to organize an educational event, or promoting our work through various social media outlets. There may also be occasional visits to schools, organizations and to youth and environmental events around the Bay Area. Intern tasks vary seasonally according to our application and program cycle and they can be categorized into these broad areas:
Interns should commit 8-30 hours weekly. Internship start and end periods are flexible and can be adjusted to fit interns' schedule.
The intern must be comfortable and confident with public contact in person and over the phone. Resourcefulness and the ability and desire to take initiative and follow through projects until completion is essential. The intern must also be able to articulate needs to the rest of the New Leaders Initiative team. Familiarity with Word, Excel, e-mail and Google docs is necessary. Graphic design skills familiarity is a plus! And of course, a strong interest in youth environmental activism is key.
You will be interacting with some of our nation's most dynamic young activists. Hone your people skills, organizing tools, web skills and get your feet wet with one of the best youth environmental organizations out there! In addition, we're located in the David Brower Center- a hub of amazing and diverse environmental and social change organizations. Our office atmosphere is friendly, warm and relaxed!
Our internships are unpaid, but a transportation stipend may be available.
How to apply
Send resume and letter of interest to Program Director, Anisha Desai by email. No calls please. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Opportunities with Earth Island projects
Below is a listing of jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities at our various projects. You may also visit our Project Directory to find a project that fits with your interests.
- Volunteer - Project Manager, Restaurant Partnership Project – Food Shift (posted 10.3.13)
- Volunteer - Social Media Campaigner – Food Shift (posted 10.3.13)